Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Chorus Line

I loved this show. It was incredible. It combines the excitement and tension of auditions with an interesting psychological back-story for each character. What better two aspects of drama are there to combine? I loved every minute of it.


I really liked how the director and his voice-from-the-megaphone was a character all his own, with his own story and his own baggage that slowly plays out over the course of the show. I really liked how simple and elegant this show was. I wanted MORE- I wanted to hear everyone’s life story. I’m not sure why they chose to have no intermission and make it all one act. I could’ve watched three more acts of this show and loved every minute of it.

I know I’m always complaining about plays that are about plays, musicals about musicals. But I actually found it really endearing this time to focus on the chorus members and show that even for a non-speaking role, so much passion and life has led up to this audition moment for each person and everyone has different motivation and drive. I’m a sucker for all of it. This was a great show for me.

I’m fairly sure they either preserved or recreated the 1970s choreography. It would’ve been interesting to see more modern choreography since disco-era dancing is now dated. But it worked. I also particularly liked the choice the SF Curran Theater’s version made to have giant rotating mirrors as the backdrop, which proved incredibly powerful for those of us in the balcony who now saw an entire theater reflected behind each dance number. Very cool. I never stopped smiling during this show.

No comments: