Sunday, June 29, 2008

Summer is here

I've seen a few summer movies in between unbearably hot catering jobs. I'll start with the most recent.  

Wall-E
I really. really loved it.  I saw it twice already and selectively downloaded bits of the soundtrack.  I must have a place in my heart for sci-fi robot love stories like Wall-E and A.I.  They seem to confirm my belief that even as the world as we know it changes (like the polar ice cap forecast to disappear in September) the capacity to love remains.  The little Wall-E robot is so freaking cute and sweet.  I wanted to hold him.  I wish I had his attitude.  There's a poem taped to the wall of the cubicle I'm working in this week at 1800-catholic that basically says life is all about attitude.  It's 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.  I want to paste a picture of Wall-E next to this poem, and the next time I have to make a decision I want to remember him.  I'm also envious of how deeply Wall-E loves Eve.  I want to love like wall-e loves!  I dare you to download "It only takes a moment" after seeing Wall-E and make it through without crying.  Somebody should play this at their wedding.  

Pixar has won me over two summers in a row.  Overall, I think Ratatouille is a better movie because it's just so Chinatown-ish-ly flawless, but Wall-E has it's share of wonderful moments.  Do you think I should go back and watch the Pixar movies I've missed? I boycotted Toy Story because of Tim Allen and what I perceived to be his culturally conservative Home Improvement baggage.  I saw Finding Nemo and liked it, but then I didn't like The Incredibles.  Should I now go back and rent movies like Cars and Monsters, Inc. that I never really considered?  

The Strangers 
This a horror movie about a couple tormented by strangers who invade the house.  The only reason I saw it was because I really didn't want to see The Happening (which I ended up sneaking into right afterwards anyway.)  Midway through The Strangers I decided that I was not scared anymore.  The masks that the strangers wear are creepy, and the idea of them sneaking into my house and following me around got me at first.  But soon I got tired of being scared, and to the annoyance of my friend John, I started whispering that I wasn't afraid anymore.  I decided that if I was in this movie, I would just go to the front porch and start singing, inviting the strangers to come kill me.  Dying didn't scare me.  I'm afraid of other things, I kept telling John, though I couldn't name what exactly these things were.  Thinking about it now, I can think of one thing scarier than being killed my masked strangers: me accidentally killing strangers. 

The Happening
There's a big scene in the movie when everyone is at the train station escaping the mysteriously deadly plants.  The scene made me wish we traveled in trains more often, boarding them in places as awesome as Philadelphia's Union Station.  Pennsylvania always looks so freaking gorgeous in M. Night Shamalan's movies.  That is all I remember thinking about The Happening.  

Sex and the City
I thought Sex and the City was fun, you just have to approach it with a little sense of humor. The movie is so ridiculously over-the-top that the only real way to appreciate it is to sit back and relish it's insanity.  I read in reviews that the movie's jokes were flops, but I saw Sex and the City twice, and both times the audience laughed start to finish.  We laughed at the unintentionally funny parts and we laughed even harder at the intentionally funny parts.  (Yes, that sentence is correct.)  We laughed at the unintentionally funny parts because we enjoyed the camp of it all.  We laughed at the intentionally funny parts because we went into the movie determined to enjoy it.  (Just like Wall-E, we were good sports with great attitude, and it paid off.) 

1 comment:

Lee said...

To answer your question, No. Cars and Monsters Inc. are nothing like Ratatouille and Wall-E. Stay far far away from them. I mean, Monsters Inc. is alright. But if you didn't like The Incredibles, I'd steer clear.

Meanwhile... thanks for the reviews on all those other movies!